- Wai Lana Yoga Home
- Yoga Lifestyle
- Yoga Shop
Tofu Seaweed Tempura
2 hours, 30 minutes
Nori is roasted seaweed that comes in packets of flat thin sheets. It is widely used in Japanese cuisine, most commonly wrapped around sushi. In this recipe, small pieces of tofu are wrapped in flavorful nori, then lightly fried in a seasoned, crispy batter and served with a sweet sesame-flavored dipping sauce. Try serving these irresistible tempura with Asian Noodle Salad
20 ozFirm tofu, drained
3 TbspSoy sauce
2 tspnSesame oil
1 cUnbleached white flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tspnBaking powder
1⁄2 tspnBlack pepper
1⁄2 TbspBragg liquid aminos
1 cApproximately 1 cup water
3sheets of nori seaweed
2 cfresh bread crumbs
2 cVegetable oil for deep-frying
1⁄4 cSoy sauce
3 TbspRaw sugar
1⁄2 tspnSesame oil
2 tspnCornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
- Cut the tofu into 16 rectangles approximately 2 inches long x 1 inch wide x 1 inch thick. Place in a large baking dish. Mix the soy sauce and sesame oil together and pour over the tofu. Marinate for 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Mix the next 5 batter ingredients together to the consistency of pancake batter. (The water needed may vary slightly.)
- Cut the seaweed into 1-inch-wide strips. Wrap each strip around the center of each piece of tofu. Seal with water. Lightly roll in the extra flour, then dip in the batter and roll in the bread crumbs.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat the oil on high heat. Deep-fry the tofu until golden brown, turning as necessary. Drain on a wire rack or strainer.
- Mix the first 4 sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute, then gradually add the cornstarch mixture, stirring well until thickened.
- Serve the sauce in a small bowl along with the tempura. In a separate bowl serve the grated daikon and ginger.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 288, Fat 16.4g (147 cal), Carbohydrate 24.4g (98 cal), Protein 10.8g (43 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 1.2g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 764mg, Dietary Fiber 1.1g