These soft and tender rolls are not traditional bread rolls, but actually pieces of bread dough wrapped around either an onion or a fresh herb filling. They are perfect for picnic baskets or packed lunches, but they are also good accompaniments for a bowl of homemade soup or a light salad.
Serves 10. Total time 45 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes.
Cooking time 30 minutes.
1 cLow-fat plain soymilk
2 TbspMild clover honey
1 TbspActive yeast
1 cWhole wheat pastry flour
2 cUnbleached white flour, plus extra as needed
1/2 cNonhydrogenated soy margarine
2 TbspMaple syrup for basting
pinchSalt for garnishing
1 tspnolive oil
3 cOnion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cWater
2 tspnRaw sugar
1/2 TbspUnbleached white flour
1 cAssorted fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, mint, and tarragon
5 tspnEggless mayonnaise
5 tspnMaple syrup
- Heat the soymilk and honey in a small saucepan until just warm. Remove from the heat and mix in the yeast. Cover and let sit until frothy, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the onion filling by heating the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until lightly browned. Add the water and cook until the liquid has completely dried up and the onions are soft. Add the sugar, salt, and flour and mix well. Set aside to cool. Wash and dry the fresh herbs for the herb filling, removing any woody stems. Finely chop and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flours for the dough. Rub in the soy margarine with your fingertips until crumbly. Add the bubbly yeast mixture and mix to form a soft dough, adding a little more flour if necessary. Knead for a minute.
- Turn the dough onto a floured counter. Divide into 5 pieces. Roll one piece into a 6x12-inch rectangle. Cut in half to make two squares. Place 2 Tbsp. onion filling down the center of each piece, spreading it to form a 2-inch strip. Fold one side of dough over the filling, then fold the other side on top. Press the ends together to seal. Spread 1 Tbsp. onion filling on top of each roll, then place them on a large oiled baking tray, leaving 2 inches between each one. Repeat for 3 more onion rolls. The sixth roll will be an herb one.
- For the herb rolls, repeat the same process for rolling and cutting the dough. Spread 1 tsp. mayonnaise down the middle of each roll, then arrange 2 Tbsp. chopped herbs in a 2-inch strip down the center. Drizzle 1 tsp. maple syrup on top, then fold the sides in and seal the ends. Sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp. chopped herbs on top of each roll.
- Baste all the rolls with maple syrup, then sprinkle lightly with salt. Loosely cover the rolls with plastic wrap and let rise for 35-45 minutes until puffy. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls on the middle rack for 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 297, Fat 10.8g (97 cal), Carbohydrate 44.1g (176 cal), Protein 5.9g (24 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 1.9g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 82mg, Dietary Fiber 3.8g