Easy to make, these attractive and unusual tofu balls go well with steamed jasmine rice for a light but elegant meal.
Apple Cake1 1⁄2 cUnbleached white flour
5⁄8 tspnBaking soda
1⁄2 cSafflower oil
1⁄4 cEggless mayonnaise or yogurt
1⁄4 cApple butter
2 TbspFresh ginger juice*
3⁄4 cRaw sugar or granulated fructose
2 cApples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
3 TbspRoasted almond slivers
1⁄2 cFresh cashew milk**
1⁄2 cBrown sugar
1 TbspSafflower oil
1 TbspCornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk lightly.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, mayonnaise, apple butter, vanilla, ginger juice, water, and sugar. Slowly add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to blend. Fold in the apples, 2 Tbsp. of the slivered almonds, and the raisins and mix well.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8-inch oiled baking dish and bake for 1 hour, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the sauce, make the cashew milk as directed below and set aside. Place the next 5 ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly whisk in the cashew milk. Cook for 2 more minutes, then gradually add the cornstarch mixture and whisk until thickened to a thick syrup consistency. Remove from the heat and cool for 30 minutes.
- Spread the sauce over the cake and top with the remaining roasted nuts. Slice into 9 squares, then halve each square to make 18 small triangles.
*To make fresh ginger juice, simply grate some fresh ginger, then manually squeeze the pulp.
**Cashew milk: Blend 2 Tbsp. raw cashew pieces with 3/4 cup hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 202, Fat 8.7g (79 cal), Carbohydrate 29.4g (117 cal), Protein 1.4g (6 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 0.7g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 132mg, Dietary Fiber 0.9g