Pineapple and coconut give this cake a tropical flavor, while dried cranberries add sweet bursts of tangy flavor. Cranberries are a good source of vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber. They also are important in maintaining urinary tract health and contain hippuric acid, which has antibacterial effects, as well as antibiotic ingredients.
Serves 16. Cooking time 30 minutes.
2 cGranulated fructose
20 ozCrushed pineapple
4 cUnbleached white flour
2 tspnBaking powder
2 tspnBaking soda
1/3 cDried cranberries, finely chopped
1 1/2 cShredded coconut
3 cReduced-fat cream cheese, chilled
1Juice of one lemon
1 1/2 cShredded coconut
1 3/4 cConfectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the oil and fructose in a large bowl. Add the crushed pineapple and juice. Mix well. In a separate bowl combine the next 6 dry ingredients, then add to the pineapple mixture and mix gently. Add the cranberries and coconut and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into two oiled 9-inch round baking pans or one 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, removing from the pans after approximately 10 minutes.
- For the frosting, soften the cream cheese with an electric mixer on low speed. Slowly add the lemon juice and mix on medium speed. Add the coconut and confectioners sugar and mix on high until well combined.
- Turn the dough onto a floured counter. Divide into 5 pieces. Roll one piece into a 6x12-inch rectangle. Cut in half to make two squares. Place 2 Tbsp. onion filling down the center of each piece, spreading it to form a 2-inch strip. Fold one side of dough over the filling, then fold the other side on top. Press the ends together to seal. Spread 1 Tbsp. onion filling on top of each roll, then place them on a large oiled baking tray, leaving 2 inches between each one. Repeat for 3 more onion rolls. The sixth roll will be an herb one.
- To frost two 9-inch layers, use 1 to 1 1/4 cups between the layers and the remaining frosting for the top and sides of the cake. For a 9x13-inch cake, simply frost the entire cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 687, Fat 37.3g (336 cal), Carbohydrate 80.3g (321 cal), Protein 7.5g (30 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 18.7g, Cholesterol 28mg, Sodium 511mg, Dietary Fiber 4.9 g