Steamed pudding is a traditional English dessert that’s ideal to serve during the colder months when you feel like something more filling. Maple syrup is a natural nonrefined sweetener that is rich in potassium, calcium, and iron, with trace amounts of B vitamins.
Serves 10. Total time 40 minutes. Prep time 10 minutes. Cooking time 30 minutes.
1/2 cGolden or maple syrup
1/2 TbspApple cider vinegar
1/2 tspn Nutmeg
1/2 cDates, chopped
1/2 cPecans, macadamia nuts, or your favorite nuts, chopped
1/2 tspnBaking soda
2 tspnBaking powder
2 cUnbleached white flour
- Oil a medium bowl that can fit inside a large covered saucepan. Set aside. Melt the first set of ingredients together in a saucepan. Set aside. Cream the butter and honey together in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar, milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the third set of ingredients and mix well. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Place the batter in the oiled bowl, filling it 1/2 to 2/3 full to leave room for the pudding to expand as it cooks. Pour the syrup over the pudding. Cover the bowl with foil to make a tight seal (a proper steaming bowl with a lid is best, but this works well too).
- Set the bowl inside a large saucepan and fill the saucepan with water to halfway up the side of the bowl. Cover with a tightly fitting lid. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour. Check the water level from time to time and top up as necessary.
- After 1 hour, remove the bowl from the saucepan and check to see if the pudding is cooked by inserting a sharp knife. If the knife comes out clean, the pudding is cooked. If not, reseal and cook a little longer. Cool, then turn the pudding upside down on a serving plate. The syrup will fall nicely over the pudding.
NotesNote: This recipe can be doubled; just be sure to increase the size of the bowl and saucepan accordingly. Also, for a vegan version, substitute soymilk and nonhydrogenated soy margarine for the milk and butter.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 351, Fat 7.6g (68 cal), Carbohydrate 66.8g (267 cal), Protein 4g (16 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 3.6g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 213mg, Dietary Fiber 1.6g