These pre-baked pastry cups filled with a custardlike cream will please your vegan friends. Best served freshly chilled. Cholesterol-free avocados are loaded with potassium, vitamins A and C, and niacin.
Serves 6. Cooking time 30 minutes.
1 cUnbleached white flour
2 TbspRaw sugar
1/2 tspnEgg replacer powder
1/4 tspnBaking powder
1/8 tspnBaking soda
3 TbspSafflower oil
..Water for binding
3/4 cFresh cashew milk*
1/4 cRaw sugar
1 1/2 cRipe avocado
1 TbspLemon juice
..Fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the dry pastry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Rub in the oil with your fingertips until evenly crumbly. Carefully add just enough water to make a soft ball of dough.
- Lightly oil 4 mini tart pans or custard cups, or a standard muffin tray with 6 cups. Divide the pastry into 4-6 pieces depending on the size and choice of pan. On a floured work surface, roll each piece into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place the pastry into the pans and mold to fit. Prick the bottoms with a fork. Bake for 20-30 minutes until light golden. Cool and remove the shells from the pans. If you are using custard cups, bake first, then remove the pastry shells from the cups and bake on a tray, bottom side up, for another 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured counter. Divide into 5 pieces. Roll one piece into a 6x12-inch rectangle. Cut in half to make two squares. Place 2 Tbsp. onion filling down the center of each piece, spreading it to form a 2-inch strip. Fold one side of dough over the filling, then fold the other side on top. Press the ends together to seal. Spread 1 Tbsp. onion filling on top of each roll, then place them on a large oiled baking tray, leaving 2 inches between each one. Repeat for 3 more onion rolls. The sixth roll will be an herb one.
- Prepare the cashew milk as directed below. Blend the cashew milk and the next 4 filling ingredients until smooth. Add the lemon juice and mix. Spoon the filling evenly into the cooled shells and chill briefly. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Notes*Cashew milk: Blend 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces with 1 cup hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 297, Fat 10.8g (97 cal), Carbohydrate 44.1g (176 cal), Protein 5.9g (24 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 1.9g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 82mg, Dietary Fiber 3.8g