Japanese sticky rice, sautéed shiitake mushrooms, and bell peppers make a delicious, healthful filling that gets wrapped in nutritious bok choy leaves for this Asian-inspired side dish. You can eat these rolls as you would sushi.
Serves 8. Cooking time 30 minutes.
1 cSticky or glutinous rice, rinsed
1 3/4 cWater
3/4 TbspToasted sesame oil
2 TbspSoy sauce
3/4 TbspPeanut oil
1 1/4 cFresh shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
3/4 cWater chestnuts, finely chopped
1/3 cCarrot, finely diced
1/2 cCabbage, finely shredded
1 1/4 TbspVegetarian oyster sauce
16Large bok choy leaves*
- Bring the rice and water to a boil in a medium covered saucepan. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook until all the water is absorbed and the grains are soft, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and take off the lid so the rice can cool. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce and mix evenly. Set aside
- Meanwhile, heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat and sauté the mushrooms, water chestnuts, carrot, and cabbage until tender. Mix in the vegetarian oyster sauce and cook until dry. Set aside.
- Rinse the bok choy leaves thoroughly. Steam for a few minutes until the stalks are tender enough to flatten with a fork. (Do not overcook the bok choy or it will lose its bright green color.) Cool before using.
- To assemble, carefully take 2 bok choy leaves and place flat on a counter, stalks facing you. Overlap the leaves slightly to make a wider wrapper. Flatten the stalks by pressing firmly with a fork.
- Place 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice at the base of the leaf area. Flatten and elongate slightly across the base. Place 1 to 2 Tbsp. of filling on top of the rice and shape evenly. Spread another 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice over the filling.
- Roll the bok choy stalks over the rice. Fold the sides in over the filling and roll up to the end of the leaf. Repeat with the rest. Place the rolls in a steaming basket and steam for 2-3 minutes until hot. Serve with a little soy sauce to dip in if desired.
Notes*If unavailable, use white-stemmed bok choy, removing the tough lower part of the stems.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 149, Fat 2.8g (24 cal), Carbohydrate 27.6g (111 cal), Protein 3.6g (14 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 0.2g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 299mg, Dietary Fiber 2.4g