If you think you don't like eggplant, this hearty dish will surprise you. Give it a try!
Serves 8. Total time 1 hour, 10 minutes.
Prep time 40 minutes.
Cooking time 30 minutes.
1 1/2 cUncooked short brown rice
1Olive Oil Spray
20 ozTofu, drained and mashed
4 Tbspolive oil
1/2 conion, diced
4 clvGarlic, minced
2 ccrushed tomatoes with added puree
1/2 tspnDried oregano, thyme, and sage
1 1/2 TbspSoy sauce
1/2 TbspRaw sugar
1 conion, diced
1 cRed bell pepper, diced
5 cSpinach, chopped
1 cParmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wash the rice and place in a medium saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil covered, then reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting. Cook until all the water is completely absorbed and the grains are soft, about 40 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, leaving the leafy stalk at the base on. Spray oil completely over each half. Put on an oiled baking tray cut side facing down and bake for about 40 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a toothpick. Do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu into a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until the water from the tofu evaporates. Set aside. Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until softened. Add the tomato sauce, herbs, salt, soy sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Scoop out the eggplant flesh from inside the skin, being careful to retain the shape of the eggplant. Chop the flesh finely. Cook in a medium saucepan until the water evaporates. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and bell pepper in the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil until browned and tender. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the tofu, eggplant, rice, and salt. Mix well. Add the tomato mixture and combine evenly.
- Fill each eggplant skin with the rice filling, mounding up in and around the center. Arrange on a baking tray and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil until the cheese melts and browns.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 406, Fat 16.2g (147 cal), Carbohydrate 46.3g (185 cal), Protein 18.5g (74 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 4.1g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 1188mg, Dietary Fiber 6.3g