Crepes are simple enough to prepare for a family meal and elegant enough to offer guests for a special dinner. These crepes have an especially delicate and unusual flavor due to the addition of macadamia nut milk and roasted macadamia nuts.
Serves 4. Cooking time 30 minutes.
2 cFresh macadamia nut milk*
1 1/2 TbspMacadamia nuts, salted and roasted
1/3 cWhole wheat pastry flour**
1/4 cBrown rice flour**
1/8 tspnBaking powder
3/4 TbspEgg replacer powder mixed with
1 TbspSafflower oil
2 cSpinach, chopped
2/3 cFrozen peas
1 tspnOlive oil, plus extra for pan-frying
1 clvGarlic, finely chopped
1/2 TbspNutritional yeast
1 TbspEggless mayonnaise
1/8 tspnBalsamic vinegar
1/2 cFirm tofu, crumbled
1 TbspFresh parsley, minced
1/2 TbspLemon juice
2 tspnCornstarch mixed with
- Prepare the nut milk as directed above and set aside. Finely chop the macadamia nuts to a crumb consistency. Place in a bowl along with the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Separately whisk the egg replacer and water until fluffy. Add this to the flour along with 1 1/4 cups of the nut milk and the safflower oil. Whisk well to form a thin batter. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the chopped spinach and peas for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, and cool. Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup nut milk and the rest of the filling ingredients except the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Thicken with the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- Brush or spray a small 8-inch nonstick skillet with oil and place on medium-high heat until the skillet is quite hot. Place 1/4 of the batter mixture in the center of the pan and swirl in circles to coat evenly. If the skillet is hot enough, the batter will form bubbles immediately.
- Cook the crepe until golden brown on the bottom, then turn over and cook the other side until browned. Repeat for 3 more crepes. Spread each crepe with 1/4 of the filling. Fold in half, then in half again. Serve warm.
Notes*Macadamia nut milk: Blend 1 cup roasted salted macadamia nuts with 2 1/2 cups hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer.
**For a wheat-free batter alternative, use 1/3 cup garbanzo flour and 1/4 cup potato starch instead of the rice and wheat flours.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 492, Fat 36.6g (330 cal), Carbohydrate 28.7g (115 cal), Protein 11.7g (47 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 5.2g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 397mg, Dietary Fiber 7.4g