This spring roll recipe includes transparent mung noodles, often called bean thread or glass noodles. Made from the starch of ground mung beans, they are both nutritious and easy to digest.
Serves 20. Total time 40 minutes.
Prep time 10 minutes.
Cooking time 30 minutes.
1Package of wheat-based spring roll wrappers
1 4/5 ozRoll dried mung noodles, soaked
3 1/4 cFirm tofu, drained and well mashed
1 cFresh shiitake or button mushrooms, finely sliced
1/2 cGreen onion, chopped
1 cCarrot, finely grated
3/4 cRed bell pepper, finely diced
2 TbspToasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tspnSalt
1/4 cWhole wheat bran
3 TbspCornstarch mixed with...
1 tspnVegetable oil for deep-frying
1 1/2 cRice vinegar
1 1/2 cHoney
1 tspnDried chili flakes, or to taste
..Cucumber, thinly sliced
..Chopped roasted peanuts
- Set the wrappers out to defrost. Soak the mung noodles in boiled hot water for 10 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain well. Roughly chop into 1-inch pieces. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tofu, and vegetables. Add the sesame oil and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes. The sauce should be slightly thickened and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- Place a spring roll wrapper on a plate. Keep the remaining wraps covered under a damp cloth. Lightly sprinkle the wrapper with bran flakes, then take a corner and point it toward you.
- Place 3 Tbsp. of filling about 2 inches away from the corner in a 5-inch line. Roll the corner over, then fold the sides in and roll to the end. Seal with the cornstarch mixture and place under a damp cloth. Repeat for the rest.
- Deep-fry or pan-fry the spring rolls in at least 2 inches of oil until golden, turning as necessary. Remove and drain. Cook in about 3 batches.
- For each serving, place the spring rolls on a lettuce leaf with a sprig of fresh mint, thinly sliced cucumber, and grated carrots. Drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle with chopped roasted peanuts if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 261, Fat 9.9g (89 cal), Carbohydrate 35.1g (140 cal), Protein 8g (32 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 1.1g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 252mg, Dietary Fiber 2.1g