This delicious version of scalloped potatoes features fresh almond milk and olive oil instead of the usual milk and cheese. It is easy to digest, dairy-free, and low in saturated fat.
Serves 6. Total time 40 minutes.
Prep time 10 minutes.
Cooking time 30 minutes.
2 cFresh almond milk*
1 TbspOlive oil
1 TbspUnbleached white flour
2 clvGarlic, minced
1/8 tspnBlack pepper
3 cPotato, sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 1/2 tspnFresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tspnPaprika for garnishing
- Prepare the almond milk as directed below and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the flour and garlic on low heat until lightly toasted, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the almond milk. Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer the gravy for a few minutes to thicken slightly, then remove from the heat.
- Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish. Spoon a few tablespoons of gravy on the bottom. Arrange a layer of potato slices on top. Spoon a few tablespoons of gravy over the potatoes. Sprinkle with some chopped rosemary. Repeat layering potatoes, gravy, and rosemary until all the potatoes are used up.
- Stir often to ensure that the seitan doesn't stick. Cook the sauce until it's quite thick. (Add a little water if it becomes too thick and pastelike.) Remove from the heat and cool enough to handle.
- Pour the remaining gravy over the top and spread to evenly cover the potatoes. Add a little water if it looks too dry. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the potatoes are soft. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 5 more minutes uncovered, then remove from the oven. Cool slightly before serving.
Notes*Almond milk: Blend 1 cup raw almonds with 2 1/2 cups hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer. If you use blanched raw almonds, the milk will be slightly whiter in color.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 297, Fat 18g (162 cal), Carbohydrate 25.9g (104 cal), Protein 7.8g (31 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 1.8g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 303mg, Dietary Fiber 3.6g