Here’s a quick and tasty children’s favorite that can be assembled ahead of time and baked when your little guests arrive. A mélange of fresh herbs and vegetables provides an armada of vitamins and minerals important for little growing bodies, and for big ones too!
Serves 8. Total time 45 minutes.
Prep time 15 minutes.
Cooking time 30 minutes.
1Potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 cUnbleached white flour
6 TbspWhole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cNonhydrogenated soy margarine
2 cFresh almond milk*
1/2 TbspOlive oil
1/2 cOnion, diced
3 clvGarlic, minced
1/2 cCelery, sliced
1/2 cRed bell pepper, diced
1 cCauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cButton mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cFirm tofu, cubed
1 1/2 TbspBragg liquid aminos
1 TbspNonhydrogenated soy margarine
1/2 TbspFresh parsley, minced
1 tspnFresh tarragon, minced
1 TbspLemon juice
2 TbspCornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
..Salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil the potato until tender. Drain and mash, then set aside to cool. Measure 1/2 cup for the pastry. Meanwhile, prepare the almond milk for the filling as directed below, then set aside.
- Combine the dry pastry ingredients in a bowl and rub in the margarine until crumbly. Add the mashed potato and mix well to form a soft dough. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the next 6 vegetables and sauté covered until lightly browned and just tender. Add the almond milk, tofu, and next 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the dough between two 12-inch sheets of wax paper. Roll into a 10-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Place the filling into a 10-inch oiled round pie dish. Remove the wax paper and lay the dough across the top. Crimp the edges to seal, trim, and decorate the top with pastry leaves.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is light golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Notes*Almond milk: Blend 1 cup raw almonds with 2 1/2 cups hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 256, Fat 15.7g (142 cal), Carbohydrate 20.7g (83 cal), Protein 7.9g (31 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 2.3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 251mg, Dietary Fiber 3.7g