Here’s a quick and tasty children’s favorite that can be assembled ahead of time and baked when your little guests arrive. A mélange of fresh herbs and vegetables provides an armada of vitamins and minerals important for little growing bodies, and for big ones too!
- Boil the potato until tender. Drain and mash, then set aside to cool. Measure 1/2 cup for the pastry. Meanwhile, prepare the almond milk for the filling as directed below, then set aside.
- Combine the dry pastry ingredients in a bowl and rub in the margarine until crumbly. Add the mashed potato and mix well to form a soft dough. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the next 6 vegetables and sauté covered until lightly browned and just tender. Add the almond milk, tofu, and next 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the dough between two 12-inch sheets of wax paper. Roll into a 10-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Place the filling into a 10-inch oiled round pie dish. Remove the wax paper and lay the dough across the top. Crimp the edges to seal, trim, and decorate the top with pastry leaves.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is light golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*Almond milk: Blend 1 cup raw almonds with 2 1/2 cups hot water until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 256, Fat 15.7g (142 cal), Carbohydrate 20.7g (83 cal), Protein 7.9g (31 cal)
Added information: Saturated Fat 2.3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 251mg, Dietary Fiber 3.7g