Everyone loves this soup. Chipotle peppers impart a deep, smoky flavor and some heat, while creamy corn and luscious cheddar provide a rich, full foundation that’s truly irresistible.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1½ Tbsp minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 7 cups water
- 1½ cups finely cubed potato
- 2 tsp simulated bacon bits
- 1¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 4½ cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers plus 2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese (6 ounces) plus extra for garnishing if desired
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (optional)
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart pot over high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to brown. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté for a couple of more minutes.
- Add the water, potato, simulated bacon bits, salt, corn, and oregano, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the potato is tender. Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes if making them.
- Ladle 2 cups of the soup into a blender, making sure to get some potato, and blend with the chipotle and adobo sauce until smooth. Return to the pot, stir through, and simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir until thoroughly melted. Add the cream cheese cubes (optional) and stir through. Ladle into bowls, garnish with extra cheese if desired, and serve.
Garnish possibilities: For adults, dress it up with sautéed chives and toasted pumpkin seeds. For kids, add a sprinkle of simulated bacon bits and extra grated cheese. You can also swirl a teaspoon of adobo sauce into each bowl.
Serve with: Chili Lime Tortilla Crisps and your favorite salsa.