This simple twist helps relieve the minor discomfort that comes from sitting for too long. If you’re traveling by plane and can’t do it standing up, try doing just the upper body movement while sitting at the front of your seat. Move into position with your elbows bent.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Point them straight ahead or turn them out slightly. Inhale as you raise your arms to shoulder level.
- Keeping your head upright and buttocks slightly tucked, exhale as you slowly twist to the right, allowing your head to follow the movement of your torso. Bring your left hand to your right shoulder and wrap your right arm behind your back, resting the back of your hand by your left hip. Look over your right shoulder. Breathe softly as you hold for 5 to 30 seconds.
- Inhale as you slowly rotate back to center, extending your arms out to the sides at shoulder level. Then exhale and twist to the other side.
- Inhale as you rotate back to center, extending your arms out to the sides at shoulder level. This is one set. Do 2 to 6 sets.
- To conclude, exhale as you lower your arms and step your feet together. Then relax.
- Don’t twist so far. At the end of each twist, rest the hand that is behind you on your lower back or buttock instead of on the opposite hip.
- If your knees are uncomfortable as you twist, either bend them slightly, or lift the heel you’re twisting away from. For example, as you twist to the left, lift the right heel.
- Imagine you are twisting around the axis of your spine, lengthening upward at the same time.
- Feel the squeeze in your waist as you twist. Your entire pelvic area twists along with the rest of your body.
- If comfortable, gently increase the twist with each exhalation, making sure that you’re moving from the hips and lower back rather than from the shoulders.
- Helps relieve stiffness in the waist, hips, and lower back
- Loosens the spine and helps improves posture
- Increases energy flow throughout the body
- Boosts energy and releases tension
- Helps eases discomfort from gas and bloating, relieves constipation and hemorrhoids
- Tones the kidneys