This soothing pose releases tension from the lower back, making it easier for you to relax.
Rocking from side to side, as in the variation below, also releases tension from the abdomen and promotes good digestion, which is necessary for sound sleep—but don’t do it on a full stomach!
- Lie on your back and bend your knees toward your chest.
- Wrap your arms around your knees or interlock your fingers under them to make it easier. Press your knees toward your chest.
- Feel your lower back lengthen and stretch. Relax your feet, shoulders, and face. Close your eyes and rest. This is a passive stretch, so get comfortable in the pose, feeling your lower back gently stretching. Breathe normally as you relax, letting your thighs gradually move closer to your chest.
- Release your legs and lower them to the floor.
Place a folded towel under your head to make your neck more comfortable.
Rock gently from side to side with small movements.
- Calms your nerves
- Improves digestion
- Releases lower back tension
- Relieves gas and constipation
- Gently massages the abdominal organs
- Helps regulate the reproductive organs