- Lie on your back with your arms at your sides.
- Inhale as you raise your right leg and bring it toward you. Exhale.
- Inhale and take hold of your calf or your thigh, interlocking your fingers behind your leg. Keep your neck relaxed.
- Exhale as you bend your elbows, gently pulling your leg toward you.
- Inhale as you release. Repeat several times, feeling the stretch in your hamstring as you draw your leg toward your chest.
- Now, draw your leg toward you and hold it for a few breaths. Breathe slowly, emphasizing the exhalation.
- Release your leg and lower it to the floor.
- Repeat with the left leg.
- To increase the hamstring stretch, flex the foot of the raised leg.
- You can either relax the leg that’s on the floor or press it down for a greater stretch.
- Keep your shoulders as relaxed as possible.
- Lengthen the back of your neck. If your chin points up toward the sky, place a folded blanket under your head.
- Instead of holding your calf, hold your thigh or wrap a strap around your foot.
- Place one foot flat on the floor, knee bent, as you stretch the other leg.
- Bend the knee of the leg you are stretching to bring your thigh closer to your chest, then try to keep your thigh in position as you gently straighten it. It’s okay to keep the knee slightly bent.
- Lengthens your hamstrings
- Loosens your hip flexors