- Stand with your feet together or a comfortable distance apart and turn your palms out.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose as you raise your arms out to the sides and above your head, joining your palms at the end of the inhalation.
- As you exhale audibly through your mouth, turn your palms down as you bring your hands back to your sides.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times.
- Relax your arms, shoulders, neck, and face.
- Sit on a chair while practicing the technique.
- Raise your arms only as far as comfortable.
- Energizing Breath is a great way to start the day. Stretching your body upward with deep, slow breaths is a perfect way to shake off morning sleepiness.
- In this exercise, practice Complete Yoga Breathing. As you inhale, fill your lungs from the bottom to the top. First your abdomen expands, and then your lower ribs expand. Finally, your chest expands and rises. Exhale in reverse order by releasing the breath from your upper lungs, then the middle lungs, and finally your lower lungs. End the exhalation by gently contracting your abdomen.
- To deepen your practice, with each exhalation, repeat out loud “Nitai Gaur” for the length of your exhalation (Niiiiiiiiiiii----Taiiiiiiiiiii----Gauurrrrrr). Then, when you inhale, for the length of the inhalation, repeat the sound mentally to yourself for the length of your inhalation.
- Loosens the shoulders and rib cage
- Oxygenates the blood and helps increase circulation
- Simultaneously relaxes and invigorates the entire body
- Helps strengthens the lungs
- Helps relieve asthma and other bronchial ailments